Writing exercise 7: unified body paragraphs
Construct a body paragraph of at least 200 words beginning with one of the topic sentences below. Make sure to repeat the key words from the topic sentence in virtually every sentence of the paragraph.
- Women suffer from the expectation that they be thin and attractive.
- Women suffer from the stereotype that they are less intellectually capable than men.
- Women suffer from the stereotypical expectation that they be passive and submissive.
Tip: Develop the paragraph by
- In its first half, explaining what the stereotype or expectation actually is: give examples to support your case.
- In the second half of the paragraph, explain how the stereotype or expectation causes suffering, both for women who follow or believe in the expectation and those who defy it or do not follow it.